Help Craftsmanship and Traditional Skills Thrive
at The Apprenticeshop
Because we strive to make our programs accessible to students regardless of financial considerations, we depend on support in many forms. Many of our supporters generously donate their time and expertise. Another way to support The Apprenticeshop is through the donation of appropriate power and sail boats.
We accept boats for use in our Community Sailing and Apprentice Seamanship Programs, as restoration projects if they are appropriate to our Shop curriculum, and for resale to support our programs financially.
Donating your boat to our non-profit organization allows you many benefits:
- The time it takes to sell your boat is eliminated.
- You pay no sales commission.
- Donations are completed quickly, and confidentially if you prefer.
- You will receive a tax deduction for the fair market value of your vessel.
- You support craftsmanship and the preservation of traditional skills.
How To Donate Your Boat
Contact us to let us know you are interested in making a donation. You will be asked to provide photographs of the vessel in its current condition. The Apprenticeshop will determine if your boat qualifies for the boat donation program. For vessels valued over $5,000.00 a marine survey will be required and a broker my be engaged.
The Apprenticeshop will provide the following:
- An Acknowledgement of Gift letter
- An IRS letter stating that we are a 501(c)(3) organization
- IRS Form 8283 Non-Cash Charitable Contribution
Form 8283 and acknowledgment of gift letter must accompany your form 1040 for the tax year in which the donation is made if you desire to obtain a tax deduction for that year.
Please contact us for more information.