The apprentices have been busy getting the lines off of the old tender and lofting them — tricky business trying to measure to 1/16th of an inch when you’re dealing with the gaps of a 106-year-old boat that has not seen the water in many years.
- Simon is making an executive-level cut
- The executive decision pays off . . . . the keel and transom are on the mold
- The frames have been steamed and bent into shape and she is almost ready for planking.
- Simon and Matt discussing their approach to planking
- The rabbet has been smoothed and is ready for the garboard.
- A view of the stern
- Matt is working out the finer details of the garboard plank.
- Matt and Simon will put one more plank on before sending her off to the Maine Maritime Museum for some collaborative work.
- March 9, 2012
Matt and Simon are about to fasten their third planks before sending her off to the Maine Maritime Museum.
A view from the inside of the lighthouse tender.
Simon and Matt are going over different options for the sailing rig
Matt and Simon have sent the boat off to Maine Maritime Museum for some more planking . . . in the meantime, they have glued up their boom and are ready to shape it
The Maine Maritime Museum is shaping up and fastening two pairs of planks while Matt and Simon are designing and fabricating the sail rig.
The mast, yard and boom are shaping up nicely.
Simon and Matt picked up the tender from the Maine Maritime Museum this week. It was two planks heavier than when then dropped it off.
Simon is getting ready for his next plank.
Here Matt is with his favorite spiling batten.
Simon and Matt have finished their planking.
Matt and Simon are now working on oak quarter-rounds to protect the laps.
Matt and Simon have flipped their boat.
Now they will start fitting out her insides.
Look at those curves!!
The stern knees and quarter knees are in . . . .
. . . . and the breasthook has been finished as well.
Here they are fitting out some of the thwarts.
Matt and Simon will soon be stiching up their sails.
Simon and Matt have her primed up